CNS-CP certification validates the achievement of the CNS who has chosen to seek current proficiency as an advanced practice nurse practicing in the perioperative (pre-, intra-, and post-operative) setting. This specialty certification is in addition to, not in place of, primary population-focused certification. Upon successful completion of the certification process, the CNS-CP credential is awarded for a five-year period.
Certification by Professional Portfolio
The CNS-CP Professional Portfolio is a mechanism for demonstrating advanced levels of knowledge and skills in perioperative practice. The hallmark of a Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) in the perioperative setting is to assist in managing the care of complex surgical patients. The portfolio is therefore based on a project whose purpose is to promote quality patient outcomes.
Project Subject Areas
CNS-CP Portfolio Application Process
Meet the certification eligibility requirements.
Complete the CNS-CP Pre-Approval Form.
Upon approval, you will be assigned an electronic storage account with instructions and the documents needed to complete your portfolio.
Once your portfolio is completed submit the CNS-CP Portfolio Review application. Your certification fee will be collected during this step.
The CNS-CP certification is awarded for a period of five years.
Submitting Your Professional Portfolio
- Submission of the CNS-CP Pre-Approval Form:
The following documents must be submitted with the pre-approval form and approved before an applicant may begin the portfolio process:
- Photocopies of RN and/or APRN license(s) or a photocopy of the online verification of current licensure from the state board(s) of nursing.
- An original transcript showing degree conferred and all graduate-level coursework. No faxed, scanned, e-mailed, or photocopied transcripts will be accepted.
- Verification of CNS primary certification, if held. A physical or electronic copy is acceptable.
- Once approved, the applicant will be given access to an electronic storage file and instructions on how to complete and submit the professional portfolio.
To prevent your credential from lapsing, a professional portfolio must be submitted for peer review no later than November 1st of the year the credential is due to expire.
If you have questions about applying for CNS-CP certification or would like more information, please contact us.
CNS-CP Certification Fee
The total CNS-CP certification by portfolio fee is $375. Active CNORs receive a $40 discount which will be deducted from the fee.
The complete guide on the CNS-CP credential including eligibility requirements.
CCI Staff Support
CCI's nursing staff is available to answer questions about eligibility or the portfolio process.