Applying for the CFPN Certification
The Certified Foundational Perioperative Nurse (CFPN) credential is the first step on the path to certification for early career perioperative nurses. Earning the CFPN provides nurses a firm foundation for career-long professional development success and provides a fast track to CNOR and CNAMB. The CFPN is a two-year credential with no recertification mechanism. Learn about the credential, familiarize yourself with the application process, and formulate a plan to complete the four components.
CFPN Certification Application Process
Confirm your eligibility.
Determine when you would like to take the knowledge-based test, the first component of CFPN certification. Your testing window will begin the calendar month after your application is approved. Your exam will be taken via remote proctor from the location of your choice. Passing the test is required to move on to the other three components.
Schedule your knowledge-based test by clicking on the "PSI Exam Scheduling" button in your CCI account after your application is submitted. For additional testing center information, please refer to the CFPN Handbook.
After you pass the knowledge-based test, complete the remaining three components to earn CFPN certification: 16pf® competency report, self-assessment of competency (PPCS-R), and the reflective learning exercise.
CFPN Credential Components
CCI’s CFPN knowledge-based test is taken online via a remote, secure, and proctored exam experience provided by our testing vendor, PSI.
- 120 multiple-choice questions
- 2.5 hours to complete the exam online
- Results are pass or fail
Self-Assessment of Competency
Measured using the Perceived Perioperative Competence Scale (PPCS-R), accessed in the Candidate’s CCI account.
- 15-minute self-assessment of the Candidate’s perception of their perioperative knowledge and skills
- Online, non-proctored, not a graded activity
- Candidates will receive a feedback report including context for their scores in relation to other perioperative nurses
16pf® Competency Report
Assesses 16 primary personality factors to measure skills and traits nurses will need to be successful throughout their careers. Candidates receive PSI’s 16pf® Competency Report with interpretive information and professional development tips.
- 45-minute online assessment hosted by PSI
- Online, non-proctored; report accessible in CCI account
- Identifies key personality characteristics that contribute to on-the-job success
- Recognizes a candidate’s potential for leadership and preferred leadership style
- Addresses the essential soft skills that contribute to competency in perioperative nursing practice
Reflective Learning Exercise
The final component for earning the credential. Candidates will develop a personal development plan for the next two years of their careers—the duration of the CFPN credential.
- Includes CCI’s reflective learning form for guidance
- Pass or fail activity accessed via CCI account
CFPN Credential Fee
The CFPN application fee is $195 and includes all four components. CFPN certification is a fast track to CNOR and CNAMB with lessened eligibility requirements (earning the CFPN is not a requirement to apply for CNOR or CNAMB certifications). CFPN credential holders will also receive a discount on CNOR and CNAMB exam applications fees.
Additional information and resources for the CFPN credential can be found in the Learn section.
CFPN Certification Webinars
Learn more about CFPN certification and have your questions answered by CCI staff.
CFPN Knowledge-Based Test Study Outline
Develop a personalized study plan with CCI’s free preparation tool.