What is Recertification?
The continued documented validation of the professional achievement of identified standards of practice by an individual Clinical Nurse Specialist providing advanced practice perioperative nursing care.
What are the Purposes of Recertification?
- Recognizes the individual Clinical Nurse Specialist who is proficient in practice.
- Supports the development of theoretical constructs which strengthen advanced perioperative nursing practice.
- Enhances professional development through continued learning that results in acquisition of current knowledge to expand advanced practice skill sets.
When Do I Recertify?
The certified status of a Clinical Nurse Specialist is conferred by CCI for a period of 5 years, at which time a CNS-CP may seek recertification. The recertification process requires a CNS-CP to choose a method of recertification, complete recertification activities during the accrual period, and meet recertification eligibility requirements.
What Must I Do to Recertify?
To recertify your credential, you must:
- Meet the recertification eligibility requirements (these differ from requirements for first-time certification).
- Choose a recertification method and complete recertification activities during your accrual period.
- Complete CCI’s application during your recertification year.
- Pay the application fee.
What Are the Eligibility Requirements to Recertify?
Recognizing that certificants transition into a variety of roles, and all patients benefit from the care provided by a certified nurse, CNS-CP recertification candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements at the time of application:
- Hold an active CNS-CP credential.
- Hold a current, unrestricted RN and/or APRN license.
- Be currently employed as a CNS in the perioperative setting in one or more of the following areas:
- Clinical expert in delivery of advanced perioperative care
- Consultant (intra- and multidisciplinary)
- Educator of nurses, other healthcare providers, patient, family, and/or community
What Are the Fees for Recertification?
- Recertification by CE and Professional Activities - $350 (Active CNORs receive $50 discount)
- Recertification by Portfolio - $375 (Active CNORs receive $50 discount)
How Do I Submit My Recertification Application?
If you are interested in applying for CNS-CP recertification, please contact CCI at email@example.com for application instructions.
CNS-CP Emeritus Status
Emeritus Status Description
CCI offers CNS-CPs who are retiring from professional nursing the option to retain their credential in an emeritus capacity through the CNS-CP Emeritus status or CNS-CP(E).
Emeritus Status Fee
The one-time fee for Emeritus Status is $125 for all CNS-CPs. The Emeritus credential does not expire or need to be renewed. You must currently hold the CNS-CP credential in good standing to apply for the CNS-CP Emeritus status. The CNS-CP emeritus credential is not available if your CNS-CP credential has lapsed.
Emeritus Status One-Time Application
Download the paper application to apply for Emeritus Status.