TrueNorth Award 2014
2014 TrueNorth Award Winner:
Memorial Hermann The Woodlands Hospital, The Woodlands, TX
2014 Honorable Mention Distinctions:
MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Christiana Care Health System, Newark, DE
The Competency & Credentialing Institute (CCI) announced Memorial Hermann The Woodlands Hospital as the winner of the 2014 TrueNorth Award. The award serves as a means to recognize organizations whose “true north” guides their nursing staff to be lifelong learners, models of competent practice and continuous advocates for excellence through CNOR certification.
Memorial Hermann The Woodlands Hospital, located in The Woodlands, TX, boasts an 93% CNOR certification rate among perioperative nurse leadership at the facility, as well as a having 75% of its eligible OR nursing staff CNOR certified. Along with its impressive CNOR certification rate, The Woodlands Hospital received the prestigious TrueNorthAward because of the facility’s systematic focus on implementing programs to reward and recognize perioperative nurses who become certified. These initiatives include verbal recognition from peers, surgeons and administration, handwritten congratulatory notes from surgical services leadership and names of certified nurses displayed on a "Wall of Excellence."
The Woodlands Hospital rewards its CNOR certified nurses with reimbursement of certification exam fees, as well as any cost of preparatory courses. The facility also uses CNOR certification as an expected level of competence on its clinical latter. As a result of the focus on specialty certification, The Woodlands has a markedly high satisfaction rate among its nurses, an average of 13% higher than the national average, and has experienced an increased rate of retention among its perioperative nurses as well.
CCI developed the TrueNorth Award program because the organization firmly believes specialty nursing certification ultimately leads to quality patient care, as registered nurses are required to validate their specialized knowledge through the rigorous CNOR certification exam process. Certification in many ways acts as a compass directing a nurse's clinical practice towards the industry accepted standards. This is the second year for the award program. In 2013, Abington Memorial Hospital in Abington, PA, was the award's inaugural recipient.
The TrueNorth Award, which will be presented onsite at The Woodlands Hospital, includes a celebratory reception, commemorative plaque, and five CNOR recertification vouchers which may be distributed at the discretion of the facility.
To read more about this TrueNorth Award recipient, please visit the CCI Blog.
1st Picture (Left to Right)
- Shannon Carter, MA, CAE, CEO and Executive Director, Competency & Credentialing Institute (CCI)
- Karen White-Edwards, MBA, BSN, RN, CNOR, Incoming President, CCI Board of Directors
- Tami Herschmann, RN, MSN, CNOR, Interim Chief Nursing Officer and Director of Surgical Services, Memorial Hermann The Woodlands Hospital
- Julie Thompson, PhD, RN, CNS, CIP, CNOR, Member, CCI Board of Directors
- Cynthia Hawks, RN, CNOR, Memorial Hermann The Woodlands
2nd Picture (Left to Right)
- Christy Miller, RN, CNOR from Memorial Hermann The Woodlands
- Tami Herschmann, RN, MSN, CNOR Interim Chief Nursing Officer and Director of Surgical Services, Memorial Hermann The Woodlands Hospital
- Diana Barnett, RN, CNOR from Memorial Hermann The Woodlands
- Karen Evans, RN, CNOR from Memorial Hermann The Woodlands
- Cynthia Hawks, RN, CNOR from Memorial Hermann The Woodlands
- Karol Morgan, RN, CNOR from Memorial Hermann The Woodlands
- Elaine Stewart, RN, CNOR, Clinical Manager of Surgical Services, Memorial Hermann The Woodlands
- Shirley Dukes, RN, CNOR from Memorial Hermann The Woodlands