Check your Eligibility
CNOR Recertification Eligibility Requirements
CCI recognizes that care of the perioperative patient stretches across a broad continuum, and we believe that all patients benefit from care provided by a certified nurse. Therefore, CCI has expanded the eligibility requirements for CNOR recertification. Nurses wishing to recertify their CNOR must:
- Be CNOR certified.
- Hold a current unrestricted RN license.
- Be currently working full-time or part-time in perioperative nursing in the area of nursing education, administration, research or clinical practice.
- Have worked a minimum of 500 hours in perioperative nursing within the five-year recertification cycle.
- At least 250 of the 500 hours need to be in the area of nursing education, administration, research or clinical practice that impacts the care provided to patients in the intraoperative setting.
A person’s title is not a consideration in determining eligibility. Any clinical hours that impact care provided to patients in the intraoperative setting are eligible toward the 500 hours minimum. Nurses working per diem qualify. Also, nurses working solely in pre-op or PACU are eligible.
Review Recertification Policies
View the CNOR Candidate Handbook for a complete description on CCI's policies and procedures related to recertification.
Information on applications is subject to verification by authorized CCI personnel, who check each application for accuracy and reasonableness. Information gained through verification will be confidential except in instances in which the law requires disclosure of facts. Should any information on the application be found false, you will be notified and declared ineligible to continue the recertification process.
A percentage of recertification applications will be randomly selected for audit. If selected for audit, you will be notified after you have submitted your recertification application. However, if there is reason to believe that there has been a breach in the integrity of the recertification process by an individual, CCI will also select those individuals for audit. Those applicants chosen for audit will be required to submit copies of all requested documentation. If you are unable to provide certificates of attendance for all contact hour activities you have attended, and listed in your contact hour database, you will be offered the opportunity to recertify by exam. Please note, you must clear the audit process by December 31st in order for your credential to remain active.
Recertification applications will be accepted at the "Early Discount" rate until July 1. To recertify at the standard fee, your application deadline is December 31st. If recertifying by exam, you must apply to take the CNOR exam by November 30th at the latest.
Please note, all of your recertification activities must be earned by December 31 of the year prior to the year of your credentials expiration.
If your application is received by December 31st, and you have met all the requirements for recertification, you will be recertified with no lapse in your certification status. Applications received after December 31st will be declared ineligible.
Forfeiture of Fees
If you are recertifying by exam, you must schedule and take the exam during the testing window you've chosen, or you'll forfeit all fees. Any of the following will result in forfeiture:
- Failure to cancel the appointment with the testing organization within the required time
- Failure to appear as scheduled to take the exam
- Arrival at the testing organization without proper identification and a current valid RN license
- Failure to achieve a passing score on the exam
- In any of these circumstances, you must repeat the entire application process, including payment of application fees, to take the exam at a future date. You may test only once in each testing window.