Academic and CME Credits
You may use academic credits to partially fulfill CNOR recertification requirements through the contact hour method.
All academic credits MUST meet the following criteria to be accepted toward CNOR recertification:
- Courses must be sponsored by an accredited educational institution, and each course must fulfill a requirement for a baccalaureate or higher degree. Although you must take the course for credit, you needn't be enrolled in a formal degree program while taking the course. For each course, you must achieve a grade of C or better.
- No more than half (62.5) of the 125 contact hours required for recertification can be earned through academic credits.When entering your academic credits into your contact hour database do not list more than the total of 62.5 or it will create an automatic audit of your entire recertification application which will delay processing of your recertification application.
- Convert academic credits to contact hours using the following formula:
- 1 semester hour equals 15 contact hours
- 1 quarter hour equals 10 contact hours
You may submit Physician Category 1 or AMA PRA Category 1 credits to partially fulfill the CNOR contact-hour requirements. These credits are considered CMEs (continuing medical education).
No more than half (62.5) of the required number of contact hours may be earned through CMEs.
You are responsible for converting CME credits into contact hours using the following ANCC conversion: 1 CME credit = 1 contact hour.
When entering CMEs into your contact hour database record do not list more than the total of 62.5 or it will create an automatic audit of your entire recertification application which will delay processing of your recertification application.